Champions League: Last round curiosities
The Champions League group stage has finished and there were some curiosities that stood out. Take a look.
10 curiosities about the last round
– Besiktas was the first Turkish team to finish the group stage without a single defeat.
– In the beginning of the last round of the group stage three teams were yet to score their first point in the competition. Anderlecht and Feyenoord ended up winning the final match, while Benfica lost once again, ending as the group stage as the only team without a single point.
– Coutinho scored his first club hat-trick in his football career. He was the first player in the last 10 years to score three goals in a Champions League match – Benayoun was the last, against Besiktas.
– For the first time in history of the competition there are 5 teams from the same country (England) in the knockout stages – Manchester City, Tottenham, Chelsea, Manchester United and Liverpool.
– Cristiano Ronaldo was the first player to ever score in the group stages matches. Before him, only four players hold a similar record, Del Piero (1995/96), Rebrov (1997/98) and Neymar (this season), scored in the first five group matches.
– Liverpool became the first team to score 7 goals, or more, twice in the group stages. The reds trashed Maribor 0-7, and Spartak Moscow by the same result.
– Spartak Moscow defeat at Anfield was the club’s heaviest defeat in the european competitions.
– Mbappé reached 10 goals scored mark in the Champions League, becoming the youngest player to achieve it. Before him, the record belonged to another French, Karim Benzema, who reached 10 goals mark at the age 20.
– Tottenham finished the group stages with 16 points: was the best team in the competition this year. Manchester City, Manchester United, PSG and Bayern Munich followed them, all with 15 points.
– Messi fulfilled 121 game in the Champions League, becoming the non-European player with more games in the competition, surpassing Roberto Carlos.